Front: November 9, 1833 – July 26, 1916, Angel of the Confederacy
Back: Sally Louisa Tompkins was born at “Poplar Grove”, Matthews County, Virginia. Upon her father’s death the family moved to Richmond. After the first battle of Manassas assistance was sought for care of the wounded. Sally established a hospital in a home donated by Judge John Robertson. Robertson Hospital became the most successful hospital of the war, returning more troops to duty per patient than any other. Confederate Regulations required hospitals to be run by the military. Sally became the only woman to receive a Commission as Captain in the Confederate Army from President Davis. Captain Sally saw that every discharged patient received clean clothes, rations and a Bible. Her hospital closed June 13, 1865 recording 1,333 patients in 45 months of which only 73 died. A stained glass window in St. James Church in Richmond honors Sally.